Thursday, March 5, 2009

Do you have a brain?

I was on my way to pick up Larissa at school yesterday and while I was waiting at the traffic light I looked over at the car beside me and what I saw absolutely infuriated me! There was a young child (may be 2 years old) in the back seat of the car and not only was she not in a car seat she did not even have a seat belt on. What are people thinking? Perhaps they don't realize that if they are in an accident their child will bounce around like a ping pong ball. Do people not value their child's life? I just don't get it. I could go on and on about my feelings on this subject but I do need to go take a shower before Dorian wakes up.

2 comments:

Bailey's Leaf said...

Um, yes. I also have a pet peeve about children being strapped into regular adult sized seat belts in the front seat with no booster. I understand that the front seat needs to be used sometimes (I was taught to have it all the way back), but still . . . When no one else is in the backseat, it isn't necessary.

Folks try to do what is easiest. Sometimes a child is fitting (oh, we've all been there) or occasionally there isn't a carseat in the car of the particular person picking up. In a pinch, I had my brother use the kitchen booster. It was better than nothing, but in this case, a seatbelt alone would be better than nothing.

Look at the accident K- and I were in last year. She would have flown through a window had I not had her strapped in. My sister learned a lesson from that. She now has her youngest back into a booster.

Should we mention that Ohio's new booster law is in effect 4/6/09 for ages 0 through age 8? Come on people! Keep those kiddos safe!

Anonymous said...

There was a case in Dayton last week where a mother was driving her kids to school and she was breast feeding her 1 yr old (while driving) and talking on the cell phone at the same time.