Sunday, January 11, 2009

Keepsakes

I am not one to hang onto "stuff." I do not like clutter and most of the time if I have not used it or worn it in the last year then I donate it or toss it. If I have saved something then chances are that it is something very sentimental to me. And all in one weekend I have been able to pass on and share with Larissa 2 of the most sentimental things to me!



Here is Larissa with her "new" musical doll. I received this doll as a Christmas gift from my maternal grandparents when I was 4 years old. (and yes that would have been 28 years ago!) I had been keeping this doll in Larissa's bedroom closet, not knowing when I would give it to her, and that moment was decided for itself this weekend. Larissa came to me with the doll and asked me, "Mommy, where did this doll come from?" It was so fun to share with her the story of that doll.



HERE COMES THE BRIDE. . . . . .
(in oh maybe 25 years or more)

So that same evening we are driving home from dinner and Larissa begins to ask me about my wedding dress.


"Mommy, do you have your wedding dress?"
"Yes."
"Mommy, can I see your wedding dress?"
"Of course."
"Mommy, does it have a lot of sparkles?"
"No."
"Mommy, does if have flowers?"
"No."
"Mommy, are you sure it doesn't have any sparkles?"
"Yes honey I'm sure. Mommy's dress was very plain."


I am so glad she wasn't disappointed that it didn't have any sparkles! She has asked if she could keep my wedding dress with her other dress up clothes and I had to explain to her that this will only come out for dress up on "VERY" special occasions. She has had a hard time understanding that!

Myron and I
September 16, 2000
(and happy to report that we are still smiling!)

2 comments:

Bailey's Leaf said...

And you had longer hair! A beautiful picture of you and of Larissa. Soon enough, she'll be filling that gown out. She'll probably be tall enough for it in just a few months! :)

Sherry said...

Sometimes I wish I had at least one girl. I have some things I would love to pass down.