Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Compliments from Myron

My honey paid me a huge compliment this evening - he told me that I made a good dinner. Considering the way my week and dinner has gone this is a great thing to be told. Sunday I made a Winter Vegetable Chili. Myron's first complaint was "Were is the meat? You can't have chili without meat." Well he ate it. So Monday was leftovers of the "Chili" and even I had a hard time eating it. It didn't age well. So then Tuesday I made Lemon Chicken per Larissa's request (she loves Lemon Chicken at our local chinese restaurant.) It was absolutely disgusting! The lemon sauce was way to lemony and I even tried to rinse the sauce from the chicken but it was still not edible. So cereal and fruit for the kids and rice and egg rolls for Myron and I. So tonight I did not feel like having another evening of a family grossed out by yet another attempt at cooking from me, so I played it safe with a frozen pizza. Yes, a frozen pizza got huge compliments from my husband. So why do I actually try to cook, when a simple frozen pizza will keep him smiling. The big question now is, shall I make an attempt at the salmon recipe that I have?

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Frozen pizza wouldn't go so well at my house. Makes it easy for you though.

Bailey's Leaf said...

I typed this all out last night and lost my connection. Allow me to try again.

Lemon Chicken

1 whole chicken with skin on
1 whole lemon, pricked with a fork
Salt and Pepper to taste
A few chicken boullion cubes for the bottom of the pan

Stuff the pricked lemon inside of the hollowed out chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Put boullion in the bottom of the pan with a little water. Cook on 350 or even a little less for longer til done.

Pop Can Chicken (or Beer if that's what you have)

Whole chicken with skin on, rubbed with spice rub **
1 full can of Sprite, Coke OR Pepsi
A couple of boullion cubes

Stand whole chicken upright on an opened can of pop. Rub chicken with spice rub (equal parts paprika, salt, pepper and brown sugar), put a little water in the bottom of the pan with a couple of boullion cubes. Cook on 350 or a little less until done. Lemony, but not overwhelmingly so.

Crockpot Turkey or Pork Tenderloin

1 premarinated turkey tenderloin or pork tenderloin
Short Cut Carrots
Washed, whole potatoes
A couple of boullion cubes and a bit of water at the bottom of the pan.

In a crockpot previously sprayed with Pam, place tenderloin, carrots on top, potatoes on top of that. Put maybe a half inch of water in the bottom and leave on low all day.

Braised Pork Chops

Same as above, kind of, only brown center cut boneless pork chops in a little olive oil with salt, pepper and mustard seed. Place browned pork chops in the bottom of the crockpot, pour condensed mushroom or cream of chicken soup over top, drizzle drippings from browning on top of that, sprinkle a few onions, then layer carrots, washed whole potatoes, dump in just a spot of water, lid and cook on low all day.

Voila. Cooking lesson done.